Friday, May 21, 2010

Farm Friday - Wide Open Spaces

When I met my husband Tyler I had never been to Kansas, never even to really anything close.  I would listen to the Dixie Chicks song "Wide Open Spaces" and dream about what Kansas would be like when I finally got to see it and I was definitely way off.  Farms in the area of PA where I am from are a few hundred acres and out here they are more than a few thousand acres. Out here you can see for miles and miles, without trees, or hills, or houses to impede your views.  I just did not really know how vast this area really is.  I tried to do my best to capture the vastness in pictures, but it is so hard to really understand that you can stand in one spot and look around and see miles in any direction.  The picture above is what you can see when you turn down the road to the farm.  Just drive for approximately seven miles and you will be there.
This is a picture looking back towards town.  You can see the highway on the right and in the middle you can see the grain elevator.  The grain elevator is actually seven miles away in this picture and you have no trouble seeing it.
I snapped this picture a little further down the road.  On the left hand side you can see a grain elevator on the horizon.  That elevator is about six miles west and seven miles north from where I took this picture.  The grain elevator you can see on the right (slightly behind the tree) is approx. three miles east and seven miles north.  The distance between the two elevators is over nine miles and yet from here I can see them both and fit them both in one normal size picture (just a little cropped).  Tyler even says that sometimes on a very clear day, you can even see the grain elevator that's almost twenty miles north.

It continues to amaze me how far I can see as I drive through Kansas and how you can leave one town and not get to another for over miles and miles.  The vastness of the prairie is something you almost need to see to believe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment