Saturday, May 1, 2010

Trip to the Top

On Wednesday morning I decided that I needed to go to the top of the grain elevator to take some pictures for yesterday's blog.  Tyler was out farming and with the wind picking up, I wanted to have it done before lunch.  Of course my little follower wanted to come and I, without too much thought, gave in and said yes.  Throughout the years, I have taken many friends and family on a tour to the top and  it is always a good learning experience.  The owners were quick to agree to letting me take her to the top under one circumstance, that she was somehow tied to me.  After a few attempts to rig something up, they decided very thick electrical wire would do the trick.  She thought it was fun that we couldn't go anywhere without the other and so we began our trip to the top.

The way you get to the top of the elevator is in a small metal elevator.  It fits two people tops and go down about an inch when you step in.  I could start to see the nervousness on Eve's face and her hand grip mine tighter but she didn't day anything and so we went on.  She even kept quite for most of the ride up, well until the part when it is dark and you can't see anything.  She started to panic a little, but so did I on my first time up, but it soon becomes brighter and you know you are almost there.  When we got to the top it was nice and loud because they were moving some grain around and loading rail cars and that seemed to panic Eve the most.  We walked down the bin corridor a little and headed outside to see all of the town.  It is so beautiful to look out and see the houses and then since it is a small town, you can see the fields all around.  I think she had a fun time as she told everyone she saw that day about how special it was to go to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment