Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tornado Season

Yesterday gave us our first scare of severe weather.  Severe weather is not uncommon for this time of year and it seems like there are some weeks where every afternoon we are glued to the weather to see where the hail and possible tornadoes are heading.  There was a tornado spotted yesterday in the north-east part of the county, less than 15 miles from our house and days earlier we had our first hail.  Before I moved to Kansas I had only seen hail once and now I see it many times a year.  I am lucky that I have never seen a tornado in Kansas (just South Carolina, but that's another story), but ones have done damage in areas right next to our farm and in town.  And if you are a fan of Storm Chasers on the Discovery channel, you have seen them chasing a storm a few miles outside our town as well as driving through our town. 
Here's a picture I found of a tornado that went through in 2008 about 40 miles from our house.  I hope I will never have a picture I actually take of a tornado coming our way, but its a very real possibility for the new few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment