Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Project 52: Our First Datenight

Tyler and I are so excited to try out Project 52: Date Nights started by Simply Modern Mom's blog.  It is a project where you try to have at least an hour long date every week.  The idea of having a consistent time we could spend together really excited me because we do not go out or plan anything very often.  Living in a small town makes it even harder because we don't have any cafes or lots of restaurants or things we could really go to easily.  All those things are over an hour away and that's hard to arrange with two girls and everything involved with them.  So having an hour date, most of them planned at home, really appeals to us and was something we decided to sign-up for and try.  Please take the time to check it out. 
        So, last Sat. was our first date and this month is Tyler's turn to plan them out.  He had planned for us to sit down and play scrabble because he knows I love games and normally he is not interested.  Plus he joked I am a bad speller and could use some help.  But since he didn't know that we only have the scrabble letters and not the board, we had to make a last minute change.  He decided instead to teach me how to play chess.
        Date time rolled around and Daphne was hot and had been sleeping all day, so she got to join us for our date. I guess we broke that rule, but Tyler did follow the make a date-like atmosphere and showered.  But since we didn't have our a/c on yet, it was so hot and at one point we were eating popsicles and he was shirtless.  Maybe it was a red-neck date-like atmosphere.   And we learned some things from our first date. Lesson 1: It is nice to take time and to learn something from each other.  I had never really played chess because I always thought it was a slow game (and boy was I right), but I appreciated Tyler wanting to teach me something and expand my horizons.  Lesson 2: Pick more of an interacting game than a thinking game.  We spent more time thinking and watching the other person thinking than spending the time interacting.  But all and all, we enjoyed the time, with each other, with no computer or tv or anything getting in the way.  I am looking forward to tomorrow, our next date, which will be early because we are having my brother, Sister-in-law, and Mom here over the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky. Great to see your first date here. Tim and I are up to Date 20 this weekend coming and have really enjoyed the dates we have had so far. It has been really worth while. Hope enjoy your next date time too.
    Glenyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! so happy to have you two join us for project 52: date nights! i love your story of playing scrabble/chess. my husband taught me to play chess a while ago. it's been a long time since we played. thanks for the idea! see you next week!
    tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

    ReplyDelete